BIM for New and Historic Metals Restoration
"It is a question of striking a balance between traditional craftsmanship and innovative technologies. It is about using the best tools at our disposal, computers, lasers, etc, combined with traditional skills, to ensure the preservation of historic architectural elements"
Among the challenges of BIM is determining:
- How to gather information on existing conditions "what is"
- How to model those conditions in a BIM software package
- How to use that information model to create "what should be"
We can help.
At Historical BronzeWorks we offer you solutions to make your work, and the quality of your work, better and easier. Our team includes experts of the use of Revit, Rhino and other 3d modeling methods in the design and reproduction of ornamental metals. We have the ability to work with you in the BIM methodology, providing information, support and assisting with information capture and the modeling of complex structures.
Historic Preservation and BIM Technology
While it is recognized that BIM is a good fit for new construction, BIM can also be useful in historic restoration. For replication of architectural metals we can provide 3d models to help with complex shapes and geometries. We gather information from:
- Existing drawings and as-built documents
- Old photos of the metal work
- Existing architectural elements
In addition, we can perform laser scanning of historic shapes in the field or at our studios. This allows exact replication of the Historical BronzeWorks, iron or other cast metal shape.
Laser Surveying of Existing Architectural Elements for BIM
At Historical BronzeWorks we offer laser scanning of existing elements. This proprietary method produces a 3d model in Revit, Rhino or other format that can be used in BIM projects. Laser scanning offers several benefits for historical restoration, preservation and renovation.
- Highly accurate
- Non Destructive
- Faster results
- Shorter cycle times
- Better quality results
- More complete and less ambiguous
- Higher level-of-detail
- Safer data capture
- Non-disruptive to existing tenants
- Point clouds can be conveniently used and manipulated for more efficient management of the project
- Archival copy of the exact dimensions, image and form of the historic object is gained and is securely stored for future use
Questions about what we can do for you? Contact us, we are here to help.